The Hong Kong Scholarship for Excellence Scheme (hereafter “HKSES”) aims to support local students to pursue studies in world renowned universities outside Hong Kong, with a view to grooming a top cadre of talents with global vision, international network and world-class education, thereby contributing to enhancing Hong Kong’s competitiveness as Asia’s World City in a globalized knowledge economy. The scheme also seeks to support those students who have excellent academic achievement but lack the financial means to study in top-notch universities outside Hong Kong.
Who is eligible?
- Applicants are required to meet the following two criteria –(a) have right of abode or right to land, or have entered Hong Kong on One-way Permits; and
(b) have resided in Hong Kong continuously for three complete years immediately prior to the commencement of the academic programme outside Hong Kong. In other words, students entering Hong Kong on student visas will not be eligible for the HKSES. Besides, if an applicant is engaged in full-time education or employment outside Hong Kong anytime during the three-year period immediately prior to the commencement of the academic programme outside Hong Kong, he/she will not be considered as having met the residency requirement set out in (b) above.
- For undergraduate programmes, only students receiving their formal school education in Hong Kong are eligible. This would cover all Hong Kong students who receive senior secondary education in Hong Kong, including those studying local (e.g. Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education) and non-local (e.g. International Baccalaureate) curricula in Hong Kong.
- For postgraduate programmes which may cover those of master and doctoral degrees or equivalent levels, students who have obtained their academic qualifications either in or outside Hong Kong are eligible, provided that they meet the criteria in paragraph 2 above.
- This application form is only applicable to those programmes commencing in the 2018/19 academic year (i.e. during the period of August 2018 to July 2019). If an applicant is already pursuing any of the programmes filled out in Part II of the application form, his/her application will not be considered under the HKSES.
To support outstanding local students to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies in world renowned universities outside Hong Kong.
- All awardees will receive a non-means-tested scholarship to cover their tuition fees, subject to a ceiling of HK$250,000 per annum, whichever is lower.
- In addition, awardees passing a means-test will receive bursary, subject to a ceiling of HK$200,000 per student per annum. The means-tested bursary consists of two components, i.e. up to HK$50,000 per annum for covering tuition fee in excess of HK$250,000; and up to HK$150,000 per annum for covering living and other study-related expenses.
Note: All applications will be accepted online. Applications for the scholarship for studies commencing in the 2018/19 academic year have to be submitted online on or before 29 December 2017 (by 6pm). Late applications will not be accepted.
For Enquiry Tel: 3509 7395 or send an email to email@example.com