World Health Organization (WHO) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Intern Speechwriter, Outreach and Advocacy
Job ID: 1703626
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Grade: No grade
Contractual Arrangement: Intern
Contract duration: 6 Months
Skills and Experience required:
- Experience of Microsoft Office suite, and particularly in development of PowerPoint presentation materials;
- A good understanding of public health, gender, equity and other related issues;
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment;
- Familiarity with the UN system in general and/or WHO in particular are an asset.
- Interns from the field of journalism, communications, sustainable development, social science, international relations or related field with the following academic qualifications:
(a)Second university Degree or equivalent, or higher
(b) Be in the final academic year of a first university degree (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have a good understanding of strategic communication and how it can contribute to the achievement of specific development goals;
- Possess excellent writing skills;
- Be able to write concisely and quickly
- Proficiency in English;
- Knowledge of one of the other five official languages of the UN (French, Portuguese and Spanish) would be an asset.
- Be familiar with global development issues and the world of the UN.
WHO’s Speechwriter intern is responsible for
- Undertaking original research on a range of development topics including within the context of UN system and Country Cooperation Strategy, South-South and triangular strategies of UN system partners, universal health coverage, climate change, equity and health security) as needed to substantively inform the speechwriting process;
- developing high-impact communications for the WHO Country Representative (WR). This internship requires strategic thinking with the ability to deliver consistently high quality, well-written, thought-provoking materials under pressure and tight deadlines:
- Researching audience expectations, event agenda and topics, and assist in focusing the purpose of each speech to tailor messages for maximum audience appeal and impact;
- Support the WR through drafting of speeches and articles, consistently ensuring a high level of accuracy and flexibility in creating, writing, and adapting content and presentation for a wide variety of audiences;
- Analyzing complex information, including statistics, financial information and other numerical, qualitative and quantitative data, to extract key messages for integration into speeches, and other communications materials as required;
- Drafting other substantive written material for the Office of the WR as requested, including statements, briefings, op-eds, opinions, articles, talking points, key messages and other written communications. This may include targeted messages for internal communications within the United Nations or for specific stakeholders and partners;
- Maintaining an up-to-date archive of speeches and data on the WHO website;
- Extracting key messages from speeches/presentations/articles for dissemination through social media channels, in close collaboration with the Communications Officer;
- The Speechwriter will be part of a communications team in WCO Nigeria, and will report to the WR (Communication officer).
Application Closing Date
10th November, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click HERE to apply online